About Me

My photo
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
I'm an artist, mother, entrepreneur and advocate. I'm poly and pan. I have ADHD.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Stone of Returning

Today was game day. For anyone who regularly gets together with friends to play a game, you know this is always the best day.

We play Dungeons and Dragons. I, by happenstance, am the Dungeon Master (DM). Evelyn plays a centaur barbarian named Esmeray. Geof plays a half drow, half high elf rogue named Elvyl. We have two other awesome people who join us each game day. One plays a high elf ranger, the half brother of Elvyl, named Orren. The other plays a dwarf life cleric named Hrothgar.

Today we finished up the last of an adventure I kind of just threw together. I think everyone enjoyed the adventure, for the most part. Geof seems to be the snootiest of the party members, throwing out his complaints with the NPC characters whenever they come off to him in a way he dislikes. Often, along with fun, comes silly dramas caused by things maybe not going quite the expected way, or moving along at not quite the expected speed. I am a newb DM, you see, so I inevitably take far too long to figure things out, or have massive difficulty role-playing an NPC. Part of this is likely due to my lack of planning. I don't take time to plan out all the minutia of each NPC which could possibly interact with a character, so when I'm caught off guard, I get stumped. I'm also terrible at role-play, so I think role-play tends to be boring for everyone involved. 

Evelyn has proven to become excessively bored by any kind of minutia which does not pertain to combat. She will often get distracted by other things and become difficult to drag back to the conversation (since we've become forced to game together online instead of in person). In person, it's not so difficult, because she's present in body and can be snapped back to reality. This, of course, is an ADHD symptom. We've not yet had Evelyn diagnosed, but we hope to soon, so we can take advantage of all available forms of assistance for her. Success sometimes is easier, and far less damaging, when supports can be supplied earlier than later. I know, because I'm only just now researching and maneuvering the possible supports available to me. I wish I'd had them earlier in life, or at least had a diagnosis! Being different, and having no idea why, is extremely difficult and disheartening. Evelyn has us for support, and the knowledge of why she is so much like her mom, but more supports could prove to be a relief for her, if we can find ones that work.

Pardon the distraction (ADHD brain), back to the game day!

So, after finishing up the adventure, everyone leveled up their characters and decided what to do during a span of down-time. We then maneuvered most of that before everyone left to get back to their own mundane adventures. We did NOT finish with Evelyn, though, because her character has some complexities which are a bit more confusing to work through. Because of this, we also did not get through her down-time activities. One thing she said she wanted to do, was to obtain an item she had discussed with our previous DM (Geof). We placed this all on hold so Evelyn could get her bedtime chores done, and so Geof and I could ride Leila to get some ice cream.

We rode to the Hy-Vee on N 27th, because I decided I also wanted some fancy soda. We got our soda and the ice cream while I got irritated by people who can't tell 6 inches from 6 feet, then we rode home. I tried to tease Evelyn by saying we didn't get her ice cream, but I failed because she was in a different room. When Evelyn finally finished and got her ice cream, she found she did not like it. She informed us that it was disgusting. I guess we'll have to find some better cheap-crap ice cream for her next time, 'cause Blue Bunny is OUT!

We sent Evelyn to bed, then Geof and I chilled together and ate ice cream (the fancy Ben & Jerry's kind). While I ate my ice cream, I worked on Evelyn's new magic item. While Geof ate his, he read. We finished, then continued on our little projects, being together but doing different things. 

I finally finished Evelyn's magic item, though, which is the title of this blog. You can view it here: Stone of Returning

Good night, my friends, and fun sleepy-time, dreamy adventures! đŸ’›

No comments:

Post a Comment